Rolling with the Bulls is a community festival, fashioned after Spain’s similarly-timed Running of the Bulls, hosted by Caddo Parish Parks in Conjunction with Caddo Parish Animal Services.
The main event will be runs at 9am and 11am: the Bulls (Twin City Roller Derby Girls in red) will try to maul or gorge (bop or spank with plastic bats) any daring, antagonizing Matador (jogger wearing white with red accessories) in their path (a guided romp around the park).
“I’m most excited about neighbors getting out and getting to know each other,” said event coordinator and Caddo Parish Commissioner Matthew Linn. “It doesn’t matter if you are 5 or 50, this is an event that everyone can enjoy.”
In addition to DJ Elle Ray playing traditional Spanish songs and American hits, there will also be a huge slip-and-slide, water misters, and prizes for best-dressed “matadors.”
Most importantly, the Caddo Parish team is also using the “Bull” event to heighten awareness of Bull Breed Dogs (bulldogs and pit-bulls), who most often bullied, and highlight important changes at Caddo Parish Animal Services.
“Caddo Parish Animal Services is now ‘in action’ and excited to help host the Rolling of the Bulls,” reported Commission Linn. “We will be showcasing Bull breeds for adoption and promoting discount spay and neuter with our partner Robinson Rescue.”
Guests can also meeting Highland neighborhood organizations, meet adoptable rescued pups, and bring their own picnic.
If you are going:
– Festivities run 8am-1pm, Saturday, July 14, at Columbia Park at 600 Columbia Street.
– Wear white with a red bandana, scarf, belt, or other accessory. Anyone wishing to cool off on the slip-and-slide after their Roll may want to wear a bathing suit, too.
– To join one of the two chases, meet at the “Bull Pit,” the shelter in the center of the park by the main driveway by 9am or 11am. The course will follow the path in the park (much less that a mile). Bulls will only gorge runners on the path (stepping on to the grass will make you safe).
– Matadors and their families are invited to bring their own food and beverage; however, glass is not allowed.
– Local vendors can join for free, and requests for spaces are still being accepted. Contact Matthew Linn at firstname.lastname@example.org.