How to Contribute to Heliopolis
We are an open format online magazine. Anyone may submit an article for consideration. We are always looking for new contributors for Heliopolis. Whether you are experienced writer or just starting out, all that matters is the passion and sincerity of your writing. The topics we focus on include community, arts, music, film, local business, local events, and government. We also accept submissions of poetry, short stories, music videos, and other art. There are several ways you can contribute:
Write an Article
If you would like to contribute to Heliopolis as a writer or have an idea for a story, please contact Chris Lyon at email@example.com. In your email, you should include what you want to write and what angle from which you are intending to write. If you have examples of past work, link to those.
Share Your Photos
Are you at an event and want to show Shreveport what a great time you’re having? Send us a picture by tagging us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram @heliopolissbc.
Know of a really cool event happening in Shreveport? Send us the details (name, location, date, time, details) along with a picture or two to firstname.lastname@example.org. If it meets our criteria, we will post it!
– The article must be original.
– If you are using facts, data points, or other sources of information or inspiration for your article, include a link, quotes, and attributions.
– The article should be at least 300 words and minimum of two (2) images that are at least 1600 pixels wide, preferably landscape oriented for the main image. Portrait orientation is accepted for images that will not be used as the main article image.
– We write according to the AP Stylebook, and we prefer the serial (Oxford) commas.
– Write in the appropriate voice for your subject material that provides a unique perspective or new information on a subject. We strive to give our readers something new, and provide context for why a subject is print-worthy.
– We do not accept articles that contain hidden advertising, affiliate marketing, content that constitutes copyright infringement (text, images, videos etc).
– We accept articles written in DOC, ODT, RTF, PDF, or Google Doc file format (with the images sent separately). If you become a regular contributor you may gain access to our web submission portal.